Name: Raluca Mihaela Levonian
Citation Recommendation: LEVONIAN, Raluca-Mihaela. ‟Functions of non-verbal messages in Mihail Sebastianʼs and Marguerite Durasʼs works”. Synthesis, no. XXXVI, 2010, pp. 55-63.
Title: FUNCTIONS OF NON-VERBAL MESSAGES IN MIHAIL SEBASTIANʼS AND MARGUERITE DURASʼ S WORKS
The importance of body language as a carrier of meaning during communicative exchanges has been proved by the development of the science of interpersonal communication. Non-verbal messages play a major role for the interpretation of the verbal discourse, which they can emphasize, complete or contradict. Our study is based on the assumption that non-verbal messages occuring in literary texts are even more important than the ones which occur during real-life conversations. Non-verbal communication in literature – and especially in dramatic writings – is never accidental or redundant (as may happen in real life), but always provides information for the spectator or reader.
- Duras, Marguerite: Hiroshima, mon amour, Paris: Éditions Gallimard, 1960.
- Sebastian, Mihail: Opere alese, volume I, Bucharest, Editura pentru Literatură, 1962.
- Borgomano, Madeleine: Le corps et le texte, in Bajomée, Danielle, Heyndels, Ralph (eds.), Écrire: dit elle. Imaginaires de Marguerite Duras, Bruxelles: Éditions de l’Université de Bruxelles, 1985, p. 49-62.
- Ekman, Paul, Friesen, Wallace V.: The Repertoire of Nonverbal Behavior: Categories, Origins, Usage and Coding,in Kendon, Adam (ed.): Nonverbal Communication, Interaction and Gesture. Selections from Semiotica, The Hague, Paris, New York: Mouton Publishers, 1981, p. 57-105.
- Elam, Keir: The Semiotics of Theatre and Drama, second edition, London, New York: Routledge, 2005.
- Golopenţia, Sanda, Monique Martinez Thomas: Voir les didascalies, Paris: Éditions Ophrys, 1994.
- Hill, Leslie: Marguerite Duras: Apocalyptic Desires, London: Routledge, 1993.
- Korte, Barbara: Body Language in Literature, Toronto, Buffalo, London: University of Toronto Press, 1997.
- Maingueneau, Dominique: Pragmatique pour le discours littéraire, Paris: Bordas, 1990.
- Mey, Jacob L.: Pragmatics. An Introduction, second edition, Malden, Oxford: Blackwell Publishers Inc., 2001.